NJ Defensive Driving Course Benefits
Almost all New Jersey drivers have heard about defensive driving courses and have had a few people recommend that they complete one. Most people, however, have no idea how beneficial these programs can be. Aside from clearing up your driving record and saving you money on your auto insurance premium, NJ defensive driving courses will also make you a better driver. The knowledge you'll gain will improve your chances of a safe trip and make the roads a safer place for everyone. The benefits are a great reward for such a quick, easy and affordable course.
Before you enroll in a New Jersey defensive driving course, you should know about all of the great benefits you will receive after completing one:
- You will receive a New Jersey Auto Insurance Discount
- Up to two points will be removed from your New Jersey driving record
- You will become a better, more confident driver
New Jersey Auto Insurance Discount
The biggest appeal of a defensive driving course is the New Jersey auto insurance discount that you will receive after you complete one. The discount amount varies based on your insurance provider but will usually be somewhere between 5% and 10%. This can save the average driver hundreds of dollars over the three years that the discount will be valid for. Best of all, you can re-take the course every three years to keep the discount active. This New Jersey auto insurance discount is mandatory, according to New Jersey Statute 17:33B-45.1. All insurance providers must offer it to any driver that completes an MVC approved NJ defensive driving course.
For only a few hours of your time and the low cost of most programs, you can save yourself a good amount of money in the long run. Upon completion of your NJ defensive driving course, you will receive a certificate of completion. Simply present that document to your insurance provider to receive your discount.
New Jersey Driving Record Point Reduction
Another great benefit of NJ defensive driving courses is the two point reduction that the MVC will apply to your driving record when you complete one. As you probably know by now, points on your driving record are not good. In addition to potentially raising your auto insurance rates, an accumulation of too many points can have some bad consequences:
- Surcharges: If six or more points are added to your driving record within three years you will be subject to costly Surcharges. These charges start at $150.00 for six points and increase by $25.00 for each additional point. Depending on the timing of your violations, you may be subject to this surcharge for up to three years.
- Suspension: If you accumulate 12 or more points on you driving record at any time, your license will be Suspended and you will lose your driving privileges. In order to reinstate your license, you will be required to pay a restoration fee of $100.00 and follow a series of steps before you are allowed to get behind the wheel again. You'll also have to complete an MVC managed Driver Improvement Program that carries a $150.00 charge and you will be subject to a mandatory probation period.
None of these consequences should sound remotely appealing, and luckily there are ways to avoid them. Of course, you want to avoid receiving NJ traffic tickets by following traffic laws at all times. Not only are citations expensive, but they can lead to the problems discussed above. Every moving violation carries a specific number of points. When you receive a NJ traffic ticket, the points associated with that violation are transferred to your driving record. Below are the Point Values for some common violations:
Once these points are on your driving record, they can quickly add up and cost you quite a lot of money in insurance increases and MVC fees. Thankfully, the New Jersey MVC will remove these points for a couple different reasons:
- Three points will be removed if you go one full year without receiving a violation or having your license suspended.
- Two points will be removed if you complete a NJ defensive driving course. This can be done once every five years.
New Jersey defensive driving courses will help you counteract the effects of NJ traffic tickets and points in an easy, convenient way. If you live in New Jersey, check your driving record. If you have points on it, Sign Up for a course. You'll be glad that you did!
Become a Safer, Defensive Driver
The last, though arguably most important, benefit of an NJ defensive driving course is the Driving Safety education you will receive. Getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle is harder than most people realize. In order to make New Jersey's roads a safer place and decrease the likelihood of you receiving additional NJ traffic tickets, you will learn everything you need to know about:
You can increase your safety and become a better, more confident driver by completing a New Jersey defensive driving course at any time. Many parents even encourage their teenagers to complete the program as an added precaution. If you are interested, Enroll or Give us a Call for more details!
Now that you know exactly how NJ defensive driving courses work, it should be clear why you should complete one. The benefits of completing a course like ours far outweigh the effort required to do so. Just a few hours of your time and you will have a New Jersey auto insurance discount, a cleaner driving record and a renewed sense of safe driving. Register Today to get started!